- Statistically, every cigarette you smoke takes off 11 minutes of your life.
- There are 1.1 billion smokers in the world today.
- 70% of Chinese men smoke.
- If both parents smoke, a teenager is more than twice as likely to smoke than a young person whose parents are both non-smokers.
- If all women quit smoking during pregnancy, about 4,000 new babies would not die each year.
- If the mother smoked during pregnancy, her baby will average 6 ounces less and its pulse will be 30% faster than a non-smoker’s baby.
- Smoking-related diseases cause an estimated 440,000 American deaths each year.
- Smoking costs the United States over $150 billion annually in health care costs.
- A smoker will need an average of 7.5 sick days per year. A non-smoker will need only 4.5.
- Ten years after quiting smoking, a person’s risk of lung cancer and heart disease returns to that of a non-smoker.
Top 10 Shocking Facts About Cigarette Smoking
Posted in COPD Blog